Suicide Risk & Substance Use
There are 2 learning options, depending on your time and learning needs. Currently being updated for re-launch in 2022!
$399 – 100% Self Paced online training – access any time and on-demand
$799 – Self paced, online training plus 4 x 90 minute live webinar sessions (zoom) for skills development & intervention experience
Secure your place for January 2022 launch by registering now.
$399.00 – $799.00
Is this Workshop for You?
Do you work with clients who use alcohol or substances? Did you know that substance dependence isn’t necessarily the only consideration impacting suicide risk?
Are you confident in your knowledge of the specific risks for suicide in this client group?
If you like to know more about the neuropsychological and neurochemical actions of substances and how these relate to suicide risk, then this is an excellent workshop for you! We examine a range of substances, including alcohol, cannabis, stimulants and opiates in addition to the different neuropsychological considerations relevant to suicidality.
We translate clinically dense information into tangible and translatable strategies, offering techniques and tools to support your work.
Terrena co-delivers this training as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in AOD, together with Carmen, bringing a Psychologists’ perspective. Indeed, all disciplines have provided excellent feedback regarding the combined disciplines approach.
Currently being updated, expecting to be re-launched in January 2022.
Face to Face:
Face to face in service workshops are available upon request, pending Covid-19 state/territory restrictions and guidance. Workshop participation is restricted to small groups to ensure maximal learning, engagement and practice/feedback opportunities.
Program is currently being updated to reflect cutting edge research and evidence.
Online Time commitments:
Lecture and lesson material 8 hours, plus live webinar sessions
- Clinical resources including screening tool
Variations and Extra Resources
In-service training can be tailored to your needs if requested
This training focuses on clients who use substances, in addition to those who may have had or currently have substance dependence, while examining suicidality in this context.
Specific focus areas include:
- Current substance use statistics and trends, and how these trends impact on each other
- Similarities and differences between chronic versus acute suicide risk
- Client substance use history
- Foundations in neurochemistry underlying suicide risk and substance use
- Specific neurochemical changes that occur with alcohol, benzodiazapines, stimulants, opiates (incl. prescribed), cannabinoids and poly-substance abuse
- Potential risk factors of impulsivity, hopelessness and aggression
- Interview techniques, assessment and evaluation strategies
- Concealed suicidality or substance use
- Critical risk points in a substance use trajectory
- Intervention with respect to stages; Intoxication, dependence, tolerance and withdrawal
- Challenges in working with substance use and suicidality
- Key points for intervention
- “It was very comprehensive and met above my expectations” and the same participant nominated the “case studies – sharing real stories” as a key strength of the training (Psychologist)
- “Surpassed expectations – great reference materials and case materials” (Counsellor in Tertiary Education)
100% self-paced, online, 100% self-paced, online plus 4 x 90 minute live sessions