Terrena is a Clinical Nurse Specialist. Her qualifications in Alcohol and Drug Studies, Mental Health Nursing and Nursing Practice, Master of Addiction Studies are complemented by extensive and notable experience across mental health/psychiatry and drug and alcohol settings.
In addition to working with SRAA, Terrena continues to provide consultation services regarding drug and alcohol admission, assessment, treatment and management to both hospital staff and patients in acute and non-acute contexts. Her role involves delivery of emergency drug and alcohol de-escalation, brief intervention and referral services. Terrena has proven therapeutic skills in engaging with clients experiencing complex behaviours and difficulties, with knowledge of evidence based interventions for harm minimisation and recovery. She imparts her knowledge in these interventions, including Motivational Interviewing and psychotherapeutic interventions as well as pharmacological treatment strategies. She has comprehensive understanding of drug and alcohol pharmacology, neurology and multidisciplinary interventions.
Terrena delivers our Suicide Risk and Substance Use workshops, in addition to providing consultation and supervision support in cases where substance use is implicated as complicating a person’s behaviour, self management or recovery. Drawing on (now several years old) position statement Alcohol, Drugs and Suicide Prevention (2011) by the SPA and others, Terrena ensures relevance and accuracy in translating theory into practice, being a skilled and experienced trainer and facilitator.
- AHPRA Registered Nurse
- Advanced Nursing Practice (College of Nursing Award)
(these are noted to be in addition to a range of generalist and emergency nurse accreditation and certifications, such as Basic Life Support, infection control and ISBAR training to name a few)
- Bachelor Nursing
- Graduate Certificate Mental Health Nursing
- Graduate Diploma Alcohol and Drug Studies
- Master of Addiction Studies
- Member Australian College of Nursing
- Member Drug and Alcohol Nurses of Australasia
Snapshot of Areas of Expertise
- Exceptional therapeutic skills in psychological therapies complemented by comprehensive knowledge in drug and alcohol pharmacology, neurology and best practice treatment approaches
- Program coordination, leadership and managing multidisciplinary approaches to people experiencing addiction
- Drug and alcohol withdrawal management, stimulant treatment and multidisciplinary clinical intervention support
- Drug and alcohol consultation and liaison services to assist the planning and care for people upon planned and unplanned hospital admission
- Training and facilitation of in-service and external training on substance use and dependence, suicidality and self injury and high risk behaviours