Suicide Risk & Substance Use
This one day workshop will empower you with knowledge and skill in understanding risk associated with specific substances in addition to the challenges associated with polysubstance use and the cycle of addiction. It's focus is on identifying and responding effectively to suicide risk in light of substance use specific challenges.
Real case examples are used and a dynamic experience is assured.
This workshop is endorsed by AASW and ACMHN. Co-facilitatored by Carmen and Terrena.
Is this course relevant to me?
- Do you work with clients who use alcohol or substances?
- Are you worried about or lack confidence in identifying the specific risks for suicide in this vulnerable client group?
- Would you like to know more about the neuropsychological and neurochemical actions of substances and how that relates to suicide risk?
- Would you like to be up to date with current research, methodology and suicide risk assessment protocols?
If you said 'yes', then this is certainly a workshop for you!
Suicide Risk and Substance Abuse workshop overview
- Definitions, suicide and D&A statistics, trends and current data
- Neuropsychological and neurochemical actions for substances and how they relate to suicide for:
- Stimulants including meth/amphetamine
Including mechanisms increasing suicide risk
- Impulsivity, hopelessness, aggression and poly-substance use
- Critical suicide risk points in relation to intoxication, withdrawal and treatment/interventions in substance use trajectory
- Recognising the opportunity for critical interventions posed by a suicidal crisis
- The role of concealment in suicide risk
- Synergistic risk factors for suicide in substance use; what symptoms profiles are at greatest risk?
- Foundations of suicide risk assessment as part of a thorough clinical assessment, including:
- Interview and assessment strategies
- Determining intent
- Differentiating between chronic and acute risk factors
- Maximising your therapeutic contact, working to prevent suicide
The workshop package includes
- Comprehensive package containing workbook and client handouts
- Extensive opportunity for application of learning with real case examples
- Full catering, including refreshments upon arrival*
- Helpful and professional trainers
- Post-workshop supervision and consultations available**
* Please advise of special dietary requirements
**Conditions apply, please enquire