Screening tools, psychometric testing and psychological protocols
The administration of a psychological screening tool, psychometric test or inventory should only be undertaken by professionals who have been trained in the administration and interpretation of such tools. There are significant risks and pitfalls in clinicians relying solely on a psychometric measure to determine suicide risk severity.
Responses, results and outcomes of psychometric tests should not be interpreted in isolation.
Suicide risk screening tools
- Screening Tool for Assessing Risk of Suicide (STARS Protocol) - Jacinta Hawgood & Diego De Leo (2015
- Suicide Assessment Screener - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) and University of NSW (2015)
- Suicide Questions Answers and Resources - Relationships Australia SA, SA Government, General Practice SA (2013)
Additional suicide risk assessment tools/resources
- Collaborative Managment Plan (Square 2013)
- Suicide Assessment Kit - NDARC & UNSW (2015) - Includes staff and managment resources
- At Risk Referral Form (Square 2013)
Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality (David Jobes)
An approach extending beyond the screening of risk to include ongoing assessment and management of suicidality.
See published book; Jobes, D (2006) Managing Suicidal Risk; A Collaborative Approach. Guildford Press: New York.
Also; Jobes, D (2009) The CAMS Approach to Suicide Risk: Philosophy and Clinical Procedures
Suicidal Affect Behaviour Cognition Scale (SABCs)
A straight forward and easily administered measure, with validity and reliabiltiy surpassing other similar measures. See
Harris, K., Syu., J., Lello, O., Chew, Y., Willcox, C. & Ho, R. (2015). The ABCs of Suicide Risk Assessment: Applying a Tripartite Approach to Individual Evaluations, PLoS One, 10(6): e0127442. doi:101371/journal.pone.0127442. eCollection 2015
All suicide specific psychometric measures rely on the client providing an honest and genuine response style. Concealment of risk can remain a concern, emphasising the importance of a skilled and qualified practitioner undertaking a comprehensive clinical assessment, of which psychometrics are but one aspect.